Grey Field Speedwell

 Hi!

It's been a very busy winter into spring. I am currently finishing my MFA, so, to my chagrin, I've had less time out in the fields staring at plants than I'd have liked -- for my physical and metal health. 

But it hasn't been all indoors!

As spring is truly SPRINGING to life here in north Texas, I've been investigating a few of the earliest sprouters. 

This week my focus has been on SPEEDWELL. 

This fascinating little grass hider is surprisingly AMAZING! Here is what caught my eye in my lawn:


As you can see, there is a little sea of delicate blue four petal flowers coming from fuzzy stemmed, scallop leafed plants that are accomplishing a fine bit of ground cover.

I had to know what this is!

After a quick iNaturalist search on the photo to get some bearings, then some google searching for more detailed information to distinguish Persian Speedwell from Gray Field Speedwell -- and the consequences of confusing them, I found this little gem to be not only edible but also medicinal and hearty!

Here it is going to seed!

Now I'm doing more research on harvesting and tisane recipes using sites like this one: 

I've also captured some of the seeds for propagation.

If you've also seen this pretty little blue spotty surprise in your lawn this spring, I hope this posts helps you learn more about it!

'til the next time!
J




Comments

Popular Posts